To provide greater flexibility for developers wishing to work with web3j, the project is made up of a number of modules.
In dependency order, they are as follows:
- utils - Minimal set of utility classes
- rlp - Recursive Length Prefix (RLP) encoders
- abi - Application Binary Interface (ABI) encoders
- crypto - cryptographic library for transaction signing and key/wallet management in Ethereum
- tuples - Simple tuples library
- core - Much like the previous web3j core artifact without the code generators
- codegen - code generators
- console - command-line tools
The below modules only depend on the core module.
- geth - Geth specific JSON-RPC module
- parity - Parity specific JSON-RPC module
- infura - Infura specific HTTP header support
- contracts - Support for specific EIP's (Ethereum Improvement Proposals)
For most use cases (interacting with the network and smart contracts) the core module should be all you need. The dependencies of the core module are very granular and only likely to be of use if your project is focussed on a very specific interaction with the Ethereum network (such as ABI/RLP encoding, transaction signing but not submission, etc).
All modules are published to both Maven Central and Bintray, with the published artifact names using the names listed above, i.e.:
org.web3j: <module-name> : <version>
org.web3j: <module-name> : <version>-android